Business and Taxes


If you are an independent contractor or run your own business, there are a few basic things to know when it comes to your federal tax return.

Generally, you are self-employed if you:

  • Operate as an independent contractor
  • Are the sole proprietor of a business or you practice a trade
  • In some way or another are in business for yourself
  • Receive a 1099-MISC from employer

Below are some resources to help with your business.

Business Forms and Publications


Business Finance

Business Guides

For information regarding state-level requirements for starting and operating a business, please refer to your state’s website.

Other Business Entities